Rocky Horrow Show 2000

Another flyer from the vaults. This one was for a performance at Canterbury's Marlowe Theatre that I went to on Tuesday 13th June 2000. As with many touring productions it always seems to me that the law of diminishing returns seems to apply. I first went to see the Rocky Horror Show upon its 1990 relaunch in London with stars such as Adrian Edmondson (The Young Ones / Bottom), Gina Bellman (Denis Potter's Blackeyes) & Tim McInnery (Lord Percy in Blackadder). It was excellent and I rather regret giving away my programmes to a friend when I was having a clear out a few years later.

Lord Percy then gave up the role of Frank'N'Furter to a pre-Buffy Anthony Head (I still have the CD single he did of 'Sweet Transvestite'). At the time Tony Head was really only famous for being the love interest in a series of Nescafe Gold Blend coffee adverts in the UK and so his appearance was at the time a bit of a watering down of the star studded London cast before the show went on tour.

Ten years later in 2000 the show is still touring. The production values are still good for a provincial theatre. The somewhat unknown cast still competent and professional. However the star performer has gone down to 'Z' list celebrity status with the Narrator being played by an actor more renowned for being an annoying shopkeeper in the UK soap opera 'Coronation Street.' One could hear the death knoll for this particular touring incarnation tolling. At least the flyer looked good though... although I wasn't going to part with my hard earned cash for a programme packed mainly full of irrelevant adverts and no real RHPS history!


Thursday 13th October 2011