The first of the Halloween food...

Well a trip to the local Tesco supermarket in Cheriton today saw me come home with some purchases not on my shopping list. They had even started to put out some of this year's Halloween decorations - but it was the usual tat - cheap, disposable and fit only for the lamest of kids parties.

As for the food, it is surprising how many companies are getting in on the act by changing their packaging to include a 'spooky' word just to sell, for example orange flavoured cup cakes or jam filled sponge mini-rolls. Anyway I did succumb to Mr Kipling's Fiendish Fancies and Devil Slices... well he does make exceedingly good cakes!

At last Tesco is selling pumpkin ravioli - something rival Waitrose has been doing for some years. I'll be trying it out tomorrow.

As for the New Covent Garden Soup Company - I always try out their seasonal Halloween soup, but making a lot or pumpkin soup myself, I tend to find that their soup's taste fails to live up to the excellent packaging design. Let's hope I'll be pleasantly surprised this year!

Saturday 2nd October 2010