Cinema in Folkestone in 1983 Part 2

Well here are the rest of my Folkestone cinema adverts for 1983... and I'll start with two I actually went to see: 'Never Say Never Again' is a passable Bond movie, non-canonical, and basically a remake of Thunderball. Good to see Max Von Sydow as Blofeld and an up and coming Kim Basinger as a Bond girl... but the less said about Rowan Atkinson the better! Anyway, I enjoyed it more than Superman 3, which after the fabulous Superman 2, just failed to deliver for me - mainly due to Richard Pryor and the overall comedic tone of the movie.



Unfortunately I was still too young to see the raft of great horror that I had to wait to see either on TV or on VHS. Instead of watching zombies I was more eager to see 'Return of the Jedi' - again let's quickly pass over the Ewoks!






I thought I came across both Cronenberg's 'Scanners' and 'Videodrome' through Alex Cox's excellent BBC 2 Moviedrome series of cult movies, which he hosted from 1988 to 1994 (before handing over the reins to Mark Cousins). However it's strange how one's memory deceives, as after researching, it was only 'Dead Ringers' that I saw on Moviedrome, and I must've come across the other two independently in the late 80's.

'Long live the new flesh!'

Tuesday 19th September 2017