Halloween Food & Drink

Here's just a collection of mainly pumpkin flavoured foodstuffs that I was given or that I bought over the festive season.

The packaging on the Halloween fudge box was probably the best thing about the box of fudge - but then I don't have a very sweet tooth!

It was great to get some more pumpkin seed butter in a Whitstable health food shop - similar to peanut butter but a lot richer in taste so you use far less on your bread.

The pumkpin spiced tea that I was given has the usual spices you'd expect for a wintery brew but does have some actual pumpkin flakes in there although you'd be hard pressed to distinguish their taste. But overall a nice 'cuppa' and I would buy the teabags again.

But the gem is to be able to find pumpkin seed oil. I haven't seen this for sale for about 4 years now. The brand that Waitrose and Tesco used to sell was very rich, perhaps a bit too rich. Then I found another brand that was rather tasteless and bland. This is variety I picked up is about right in terms of not being too overpowering... although it is a little pricey!

Finally the pumpkin speltotto (like a risotto but with spelt) tastes quite sweet due to the shallots and is very filling, but just needs that extra punch... so don't forget to add chopped parsley and shavings of a hard cheese at the end as the packet states or you may be a bit underwhelmed. This pumpkin product was found in the UK supermarket Waitrose; so should be readily available.






Tuesday 8th November 2011